It’s below 80 degrees here in Pensacola. I repeat, it’s below 80 degrees here in Pensacola and it’s not humid. I think I kind of like it here now…
That’s just the Stockholm syndrome talking. But seriously, we just got a cold front here and it’s the first time we’ve opened the windows in months. So that got me thinking…
IT’S FALL. Meaning, it’s time to make fall things. Meaning pie. Meaning stew. Meaning pot pies. Meaning chili. Meaning HOT foods for once.
Anyway, this is an incredibly basic apple pie recipe. It goes great with vanilla ice cream and I promise, you will want seconds. Although your stomach probably won’t.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
Makes 1 delicious apple pie
4 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter, cubed
1 pie crust (double the amount if you want to have a fully covered top) (also see my Georgia Peach Pie recipe for my crust directions)
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
2. Prepare your pie crust. I typically make a crumb topping but felt inclined to make a fully covered pie.
3. Fill your crust with the apple filling.
4. Dot the top with pieces of butter and cover with your second piece of crust.
5. Make 4 incisions on the top for ventilation.
6. Brush the egg wash all over the crust.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown.
8. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream!