I’ve been eating medjool dates like crazy lately. They look like shriveled testicles but taste amazing. I primarily choose to eat these to replace my need (need, right?) to eat sweets like chocolate and cookies.
Now that I’m back at work, I need energy. Lots of it. Teaching 6 classes of math a day is no joke. By the end of the day, my brain hurts, my feet hurt, and my vocal chords are shot. My wish of being able to shoot laser beams from my eyes at my students is usually at an all time high.
I figured rather than allowing myself to eat any junk food at work, I would make energy bars to keep myself from going on a hangry (hungry + angry) rampage.
Make sure your dates are fresh. Seriously. By fresh, I mean they shouldn’t be really firm or dry; they should “glisten.”
In addition to the dates, I added in nuts and seeds that I bought at our local organic store. God, I can’t stand that place. One time I stopped by there and there were 3 hippies just sitting in the middle of the cafe playing their flutes and singing. Their produce prices are obnoxiously high and there’s just too much gluten-free crap. What’s with this whole gluten-free rage lately? Anyway, I’ll end my rant there.
But, let me get back to the nuts and seeds. I got raw cashews, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. And they tasted great! Raw cashews are surprisingly sweet. Added in some honey and the bars were done!
Makes about 10 bars
Time: 10 minutes prep, 30 minutes waiting to set
15-18 pitted medjool dates
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Place the dates into a food processor and process.
2. Add in remaining ingredients and process again.
3. Once combined, get the mixture into a small pan lined with parchment paper (I used a deep dish casserole pan).
4. Using either a spatula or your fingers, flatten and compress the mixture. Make sure the top is as smooth as possible.
5. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the chilled mixture from the pan and cut into bars. Enjoy!