Mexican food is a must in our home. Having lived in San Diego and Los Angeles, we had endless options of Mexican restaurants to choose from. Pensacola? Not so much.
But regardless of what we have here in Pensacola, I truly enjoy making Mexican food. Rather, I should say “Mexican” food. One absolute necessity for a Mexican meal is Spanish rice.
The rice is a blend of tomato, onions, and hints of spice. It perfectly compliments any main Mexican dish and is easy to make.
1 cup white long grain rice
1.5 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/3 cup chopped onion
1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat. Add rice.
2. Stir the rice and cook until toasted brown (a few minutes).
3. Add onions. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add turmeric. Stir.
5. Immediately add chicken broth and tomato paste. Stir well.
6. Let simmer on low heat until rice is thoroughly cooked and fluffy (at least 10 minutes).
Serve with any Mexican dish!